According to topschoolsintheusa, Jetmore, Kansas is a small city of 1,872 people located in Hodgeman County in the western part of the state. The town is situated on the high plains and is surrounded by rolling hills and prairies. Jetmore has a semi-arid climate that experiences hot summers with occasional thunderstorms and cold winters with occasional snowfall.
The history of Jetmore dates back to 1878 when it was founded as a trading post along the Santa Fe Trail. The population slowly grew over time, with many settlers coming to take advantage of the fertile soil in the area for farming. In 1903, Jetmore was incorporated as a city and by 1910 it had grown to nearly 1,000 people.
Today, Jetmore has an economy based largely on agriculture and light manufacturing. The town also has several retail stores and restaurants that cater to both locals and tourists alike. The city has two public schools that serve students from kindergarten through 12th grade, as well as several private schools for those who prefer an alternative education option.
Jetmore is also home to many iconic landmarks such as the Hodgeman County Courthouse which was built in 1897, as well as the historic Santa Fe Trail marker which marks where travelers once followed the famous trail across Kansas. Other notable landmarks include Silver Lake Park which offers a variety of outdoor activities such as fishing and swimming, and an old-fashioned soda fountain downtown where visitors can still enjoy ice cream treats from days gone by.
Population: 903. Estimated population in July 2020: 914 (+1.2% change)
Males: 424 (47.0%), Females: 479 (53.0%)
Zip code: 67854
Median resident age: 39.7 years
Median household income: $33,618
Median house value: $45,900
Races in Jetmore:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.7%)
- Hispanic (3.0%)
- Two or more races (1.7%)
- Black (1.2%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
Ancestries: German (33.1%), English (17.4%), United States (13.0%), Irish (8.1%), French (3.3%), Scotch-Irish (3.2%).
Elevation: 2307 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
Jetmore, Kansas is a small city located in Hodgeman County. With a population of 1,471 as of 2019, Jetmore is an ideal place for those looking for a more rural and peaceful lifestyle. The median home value in Jetmore is $68,800 and the median household income is $45,000. The cost of living in Jetmore is lower than the national average and many people find it to be an affordable place to live. Renters can expect to pay around $500 per month for a two bedroom apartment while the average cost of groceries and other necessities are also relatively low.
The city offers plenty of recreational activities that are sure to please everyone in the family. From golf courses and parks to bike trails, there’s something for everyone here. Jetmore also has several restaurants and cafes where you can enjoy a delicious meal or pick up some groceries on your way home from work. There are also several museums and art galleries that add to the cultural atmosphere of the city. Shopping options include both local stores as well as big box stores such as Walmart and Target so you can find just about anything you need without having to drive too far away from home.
For population 25 years and over in Jetmore
- High school or higher: 86.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 21.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 1.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 14.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jetmore city
- Never married: 12.8%
- Now married: 63.4%
- Separated: 0.3%
- Widowed: 9.5%
- Divorced: 14.0%
1.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +55 (+6.5%).
Hospital/medical center in Jetmore:
- HODGEMAN COUNTY HEALTH CENTER (809 W BRAMLEY)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Jetmore:
- WESTERN PLAINS MEDICAL COMPLEX (about 25 miles; DODGE CITY, KS)
- NESS COUNTY HOSPITAL DISTRICT #2 (about 25 miles; NESS CITY, KS)
- EDWARDS CO HOSPITAL & HEALTHCARE CTR (about 35 miles; KINSLEY, KS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Jetmore:
- DODGE CITY REGIONAL (about 24 miles; DODGE CITY, KS; Abbreviation: DDC)
- GARDEN CITY REGIONAL (about 58 miles; GARDEN CITY, KS; Abbreviation: GCK)
- HAYS RGNL (about 68 miles; HAYS, KS; Abbreviation: HYS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Jetmore:
- JETMORE MUNI (about 7 miles; JETMORE, KS; Abbreviation: K79)
- WILROADS GARDENS (about 26 miles; DODGE CITY, KS; Abbreviation: 9K1)
- NESS CITY MUNI (about 27 miles; NESS CITY, KS; Abbreviation: 48K)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jetmore:
- FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 68 miles; HAYS, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,572)
- BARTON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 80 miles; GREAT BEND, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,268)
- HUTCHINSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 137 miles; HUTCHINSON, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,268)
- WICHITA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 170 miles; WICHITA, KS; Full-time enrollment: 10,403)
- FRIENDS UNIVERSITY (about 178 miles; WICHITA, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,983)
- SOUTHWESTERN OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 194 miles; WEATHERFORD, OK; Full-time enrollment: 4,360)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT KEARNEY (about 199 miles; KEARNEY, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,588)
Public high school in Jetmore:
- JETMORE HIGH (Students: 98; Location: 500 NIEDERACHER; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Jetmore:
- JETMORE ELEM (Students: 208; Location: 301 DOUGLAS; Grades: KG – 08)
Library in Jetmore:
- JETMORE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $21,043; Location: 308 MAIN STREET; 16,116 books; 322 audio materials; 598 video materials; 26 serial subscriptions)