According to top-medical-schools, Fountain Run, Kentucky is a small city located in the southwestern part of the state. It has a population of around 10,000 people, making it one of the smaller cities in Kentucky. The city is situated on rolling hills and has a moderate climate with temperatures averaging between 55 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the year. Winters are generally mild and summers can be hot and humid.
The history of Fountain Run dates back to the early 1800s when settlers first began to arrive. The city has seen its share of changes over the years, but remains a charming community with a strong sense of pride for its heritage. In more recent times, Fountain Run has become known for its unique blend of Southern hospitality and progressive politics.
The economy in Fountain Run is largely based on agriculture, tourism, and retail businesses. There are several small businesses throughout town that provide jobs for local citizens as well as attract visitors from out-of-towners looking for something unique to experience in this rural part of Kentucky.
Fountain Run is served by two local school districts: Union County Public Schools and Monroe County Public Schools. Both districts offer excellent educational opportunities with high standards for students across all grade levels. In addition to these public schools, there are also several private schools available in the area that offer an alternative educational experience to those who prefer it.
The landmarks that make Fountain Run so special include some classic old buildings like the old courthouse which dates back to 1841 as well as some newer attractions like The Fountain Run Museum which showcases artifacts from throughout Kentucky’s history. Other popular attractions include The Old Mill Park where visitors can take part in fishing or camping activities or simply enjoy the natural beauty surrounding them while they relax outdoors with friends or family members.
Population: 236. Estimated population in July 2020: 233 (-1.3% change)
Males: 98 (41.5%), Females: 138 (58.5%)
Zip code: 42133
Median resident age: 43.5 years
Median household income: $11,591
Median house value: $37,500
Races in Fountain Run:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.8%)
- Black (2.5%)
- Hispanic (1.7%)
- Other race (1.7%)
Ancestries: United States (24.2%), English (8.5%), Irish (5.5%), German (3.8%), Scottish (2.5%).
Elevation: 775 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Fountain Run is a small rural community located in south-central Kentucky. It has a population of approximately 1,400 people, and the majority of the population is white. The median age of the population is around 40 years old. The town has a strong sense of community, and everyone knows each other by name. There are many local businesses that serve the town, ranging from restaurants to grocery stores to hardware stores. There is also an elementary school, a middle school, and a high school in the town for children to attend. Many of the residents work in agriculture or related industries such as farming and forestry. There are also some residents who commute to nearby cities for employment opportunities in manufacturing or other industries. The town also has several churches that serve its residents spiritually as well as providing them with social events throughout the year. The downtown area features many historic buildings that have been preserved over time, giving Fountain Run an old-fashioned charm that people enjoy visiting when they come to town.
For population 25 years and over in Fountain Run
- High school or higher: 44.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 1.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.2%
- Unemployed: 10.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Fountain Run city
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 46.1%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 25.4%
- Divorced: 7.8%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -24 (-9.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Fountain Run:
- MACON COUNTY GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; LA FAYETTE, TN)
- T J SAMSON COMMUNITY HOSP (about 18 miles; GLASGOW, KY)
- MONROE CO MEDICAL CENTER (about 20 miles; TOMPKINSVILLE, KY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Fountain Run:
- BOWLING GREEN-WARREN COUNTY RGNL (about 36 miles; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Abbreviation: BWG)
- SMYRNA (about 63 miles; SMYRNA, TN; Abbreviation: MQY)
- NASHVILLE INTL (about 65 miles; NASHVILLE, TN; Abbreviation: BNA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Fountain Run:
- LAFAYETTE MUNI (about 16 miles; LAFAYETTE, TN; Abbreviation: 3M7)
- GLASGOW MUNI (about 21 miles; GLASGOW, KY; Abbreviation: GLW)
- TOMPKINSVILLE-MONROE COUNTY (about 22 miles; TOMPKINSVILLE, KY; Abbreviation: TZV)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Fountain Run:
- WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY (about 40 miles; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Full-time enrollment: 12,806)
- VOLUNTEER STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 42 miles; GALLATIN, TN; Full-time enrollment: 4,215)
- TENNESSEE TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; COOKEVILLE, TN; Full-time enrollment: 7,204)
- MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 68 miles; MURFREESBORO, TN; Full-time enrollment: 16,617)
- VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY (about 68 miles; NASHVILLE, TN; Full-time enrollment: 9,823)
- ELIZABETHTOWN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 68 miles; ELIZABETHTOWN, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,217)
- DAVID LIPSCOMB UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; NASHVILLE, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,260)